Florence + the Machine have been storming up the charts with their third studio album, How Big, How Blue How Beautiful? Their performance at EP ’15 is one of our fondest memories from Summer ’15, so here a few things you didn’t know about the singing Goddess herself.
- Her middle name is Leontine. According to our source (Google) it means Lion/Lioness. Seems about right – she’s pretty fierce.
- As a young wan, growing up in Camberwell, England, she sang at funerals.
- Her beloved “Machine” began as a secondary school collaboration with BFF Isabel.
- She wanted to be an interior designer: “I think if I wasn’t a singer I’d probably be in stage setting or interior design or something. I like clutter and I’m quite visually greedy.
- She used to drink before each performance…a lot – hence the Coachella incident: “I’m quite shy, really—that’s probably why I used to drink a lot. But I don’t anymore. Her penchant for dirty martinis also led to her setting fire to a hotel, while partying with Kanye West.
- She’s had a tough run of it: she witnessed her Grandmother commit suicide, she suffers from anxiety, has dyspraxia and dyslexia – and she still rocks it!
- Ms Welch is NOT A REAL RED HEAD. Yes, we were shocked too when this fact was unearthed. She’s actually a brunette.
- Her first stage name was…wait for it…Florence Robot Was a Machine.
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful? is out now.