Step aside Hipsters; enter the Yuccies.
Yes, the days of mammoth beards, bow-ties, and all things vintage may be numbered, as a new breed of guys and gals are beginning to crawl out of the socioeconomic woodwork. So what exactly is a Yuccie, I hear you ask?
Our trendy friends at Urban Dictionary tell us this new class are:
“Young Urban Creatives. In a nutshell, a slice of Generation Y, borne of suburban comfort, indoctrinated with the transcendent power of education, and infected by the conviction that not only do we deserve to pursue our dreams; we should profit from them.”
So lets break that down for you: A Yuccie combines all the creative flair of a Hipster, with the success, drive and ambition of a Yuppie! This new guy/girl on the block has come into being thanks to an improved economy, a surge in creative/digital careers, as well as a widespread transformation in mainstream fashion.
— Dallas Observer (@Dallas_Observer) December 27, 2015
Not sure if you’re one of them? Well there’s a test for it. A set of analytical and diverse questions, that know you better than you know yourself. For the purpose of journalistic research, I took the test and,although I wasn’t aware of this fact, I am a Yuccie.
Mashable told me: “Lord of the yuccies, we bow to you and your kind – all of whom have made the Forbes 30 under 30 list. Chomp down on your artisanal donuts in celebration, but be sure to despise yourself for it.”
Apart from this highly developed test, here are some of the warning signs:
1. Blaming mercury retrograde for a late package; but hey, it’s a real thing!
2. Being a seasoned pro at ‘bikram yoga’. That’s ‘hot yoga’ to you and I.
3. Stocking up weekly on enough avocados to kill an elephant, ‘cos you add it to every meal.
4. Uttering the words: “I got it on Etsy!”
5. Being ‘totes’ up to scratch on teen slang like “bae” and “on fleek”.
6. Wearing Warby Parker sunglasses like a boss!
7. Wearing lots of black and grey.
8. Looking down on your friends who haven’t heard of Alt-J.
9. Using words like ‘guac’, ‘margs’, ‘vino’.
10. Your passion is your job, and you feel bad for those who hate their 9-5.
11. Floral prints.
13. Lots of denim.
14. Carrot style joggers.
15. You don’t think you’re a yuccie!